Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Obama and the Constitution

A number of years ago our Current President Obama made the following Statement:

“And the Warren court interpreted it generally in the same way — that the Constitution is a document of negative liberties, says what the states can’t do to you, says what the federal government can’t do to you, but it doesn’t say what the federal government or state government must do on your behalf, and that hasn’t shifted.”- audio from 2001 Obama interview.

This is the man who has sworn (at least on the second try) to uphold our great document.

Our Constitution is all about limits. Inspired by God, it was created by men who had seen tyranny, injustice, and the impenetrable classes of British society at the time. It was created by men who thought seriously about the extent of reach the government should have on the lives of the citizens. The Constitution lays out the method by which our majority law would be accomplished, The Bill of Rights sets forth the personal rights that the majority, or the government, cannot encroach upon.

The beauty of the Constitution is found in it’s limits. The freedom of the people is ensured by it’s limits. Frankly, to have a leader who feels constrained by these limits worries me.

But then Maybe President Obama would prefer this reading……

Lynnae with Manifesto

-Lynnae

4 comments:

  1. No kidding. It really bothers me too. I read where you saw that he didn't place his hand over the bible the second time, now it makes more sense to me. I wonder if he did the first oath flub on purpose. Nothing would surprise.

    I have never been more scared for our future. Ever.

    Love that picture of you. You are truly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can guess, I have a different take on the Obama administration than you. :-)

    That said, I respect your choice to share your thoughts and your willingness to help commie-libs like me gain a less caricatured and more nuanced understanding of the conservative perspective on America's problems and potential.

    We've been friends for so long, I trust you know that I mean this genuinely.

    Lynnae, I will visit your blog frequently to learn more about your undeniably principled stand for liberty amid a world that must seem to be going a bit crazy these days.

    As a fellow American, I salute your contribution to our shared dialogue about the past and future of the nation we both love.

    Keep writing! Your words are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jan the crazy lady: Great pic. I love the "are you sure you want to go down this road?" look that you convey. Appreciators of Lynnae throughout the world, unite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you.... I enjoy a little debate as long as people are fairly polite. I enjoy the back and forth dialog..although I don't think that's the best word since compromise is not what either side wants... Although I tend to get so involved and fired up that laundry isn't done and the next thing I know it's dinner time and I've got nothing ready. That's why I like this blog. I can throw out a little comment here and there and try to keep it at my own pace rather than having it consume all my time. But I have a lot of friends and family and where this is the case, not all of them are going to be Reaganites like me. Which leads me to todays post.......

    ReplyDelete