Sunday, April 5, 2009

You're Not Alone

I know that in my last post I joked that we don't live in a free country. While it seems increasingly so, I know that this is one of the most blessed countries on earth and God enabled this country to succeed in order to create the safe harbor for the gospel to be restored, and for that I am grateful. Lets just hope we can keep it that way.
The more we allow our freedoms to erode away, the closer we come to losing our freedom of religion. I know that the outcomes of the decisions of national leaders are already known to God and that his purposes will be fulfilled. But the desire in my heart to protect our freedoms and fight for the liberty and agency of the American people must have also been planted there by the Creator.
So, while I feel very strongly about the direction our country is taking, I don't quite know how I fit in to all of this. I try to stand up for my values, defend the family, and be a good example. Sometimes I think the best I can do is let other religious conservative people know that they aren't the only ones out there.


On another note, there are renewed plans to make Ayn Rand's classic novel, 'Atlas Shrugged', into a motion picture. That's an exciting prospect. Some of the names being tossed around to play Dagny are Julia Roberts, Charlize Theron, or Angelina Jolie. I almost think a newcomer would be better, but it will definitely take some acting skills, so maybe that's not possible. After my initial doubt, I think Jolie would be the best of the three. Theron has a cutsie quality that's hard for me to get past and Hathaway seems too 'soft'. Dagny needs to be tough, thin to the point of being a little wirey, and gorgeous doesn't hurt, as long as that look of sheer determination can get through. As far as men, Antonio Banderas would be great for Fransisco d'Anconia, but he may be too old. For Henry Reardon some all American looking guy, a Kevin Costner type, but again too old. Maybe Rupert Penry Jones, but if he's not American enough then I'd give him the part of the pirate Ragnar Dannesgold. Here's some more suggestions from another blog I came across....
The book itself is a protest against government meddling in private business and how this leads to the defeat of the human spirit. I think in that sense it is an important portrayal. While I do not agree with the atheism and extra-marital relationships in the book, it is what it is, and I would still highly recommend it to those who haven't read it yet. If you don't have the time for a novel of that size, her short novel 'Anthem' is a quick read, and though different, it could be a good place to start with Ayn Rand.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe this. We are so on the same page. We must really feel the need to spread knowledge and hope and rise up and get with it for the next election. I really appreciate people like you that love liberty and freedom and all things this country was founded in. I am so glad you told me about your blog Jane. Thank you.

    I believe in the divinity of this country as well. That is why I feel that it is so important to try and hold on to the founding principles and values that is the foundation. Because when we turn from that foundation and have a country of Godless like so many foreign countries, we are sunk.

    Take care and carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am half way through my second time reading Atlas Shrugged, this time with my first reluctant book club- they all LOVE IT> It is such a great peek at what could happen if people worked with values that are pure and quit expecting hand outs. I love it. The atheism feel does not pack such a sting the second time around, and Francisco is soooo much better!
    How could they ever make this a movie??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be better as a mini series...plus, less chance they'll make it Rated R. But I still would like to see it if they could stay somewhat true to the book.

    ReplyDelete